Page updated 7/28/2020
What to Expect As We Return to In-Person Worship Services
- Our intention is to offer in-person worship services on Sunday mornings beginning August 16th. Weather permitting, we will hold these services in the church grove until the end of September. Please bring your own lawn chair(s).
- Stay at home if you do not feel well (loss of smell or taste, cough, muscle aches, sore throat, shortness of breath, nausea/vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite chills and/or headache), have a temperature of 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit, or are in a high-risk category (the elderly or anyone with a compromising health issue).
- Hand sanitizer, sanitizing wipes, and masks will be available.
- Only the restrooms on the first floor of the educational building will be available for use.
- We will not pass an offering plate during the service. A receptacle will be available to receive your monetary gifts.
- We encourage those over the age of 2 to wear your mask throughout the service, indoors or outdoors. If your mask must be removed, please do so only when seated and be sure to put the mask on again when talking with others or when leaving your seat.
- The building will be set up to allow for you to practice social distancing guidelines at all times. Please respect these guidelines by standing, or sitting 6 feet apart while in the building. Members of the same household will be allowed to sit or stand together. Please do not congregate in groups before and after the service either in the church building or in the parking lot.
- When entering the sanctuary, you will be ushered to an available pew. When leaving the sanctuary, please wit to be directed to an appropriate exit.
- In order to fulfill the requirement of contact tracing, you will be asked to fill out an “attendance card” including your name(s) and a telephone number.
- As there will be no congregational singing and no participation by the choirs, you will find that hymnals and pew Bibles have been removed.
- There will be no Children’s Church. The Nursery space will be available.
Funeral Policy during COVID 19 as of June 26, 2020
Grieving, especially in a time of global pandemic, presents challenges and heartbreak. We, as a family of faith, strive to offer comfort to those who mourn, as well as to provide for the safety of attendees and staff in honoring a person’s life. With guidance from the CDC, Montgomery County Department of Health, denominational bodies and the United Church Insurance Board, during the Green phase we continue to recommend safe practices, social distancing, and limited group number gatherings. Palm Schwenkfelder Church partners with the funeral home of the family’s choosing to provide as safe an environment as we can. The following policies now apply to all funeral services at Palm Schwenkfelder Church until further notice:
- We are only able to provide graveside services.
- If possible we recommend a celebration of life service be held at a later date, when it is determined safe to do so.
- We recommend that no more than 25 people attend the graveside service.
- As a courtesy to the other attendees we ask those who are able, to wear face masks or face coverings.
- Family members living together can stand together, all other attendees must stand at least 6 feet apart from one another.
- We are unable to provide a viewing/calling hour prior to the graveside service.
- We are unable to provide for a funeral luncheon following the graveside service.
- Pastoral participation in funeral services held inside of funeral homes are subject to individual pastoral discretion.